Today was the big IVF consult!
It went well, although you wouldn’t be able to tell that from my bad attitude. I’m chalking this up in part to the fact that life in general feels sad and hard right now. Let’s just say I’m latching on to the less awesome parts of the consult, for sure.
That less awesome part is, mostly, just how long a process this is going to be. Ok, I admit that while I was somewhat prepared for there to be a time lag, I also fantasized about getting the process going . . .oh, tomorrow. Of course, the delays are all medically necessary and, more than anything, I want this process to be medically well thought out, measured and careful – so I can hardly complain. That, of course, is the rational part of me. The other part of me is not available for comment because it has thrown itself on the floor and is flailing its arms and legs and throwing an all mighty tantrum.
The first thing we need to complete are some additional tests, namely: AMH, vitamin D, immunity, genetic screening, thyroid re-check, a hysteroscopy and trial embryo transfer. Because some of this (ok, ONE of these) requires testing on a specific day in my cycle (that has, of course, already passed for this cycle) we will have to wait until my next cycle starts to run these tests. So, really nothing can happen until somewhere near Dec. 25th, when I will celebrate the birth of baby Jesus and the (hopeful) arrival of my menses. Then I will rush home from Indiana and into the fertility clinic to get my blood drawn and my uterus looked at.
That cycle will, however, will be reserved for testing – and, if we want, an IUI with Letrozole while we are waiting. It might be worth a shot, eh? But, if the IUI doesn’t work or we choose to move forward without it, we will be able to begin down regulation, stims and egg retrieval at the end of January/February cycle. BUT . . .because of my PCOS, the doctor thinks it would be best if we forgo a fresh transfer and plan on an FET, since the risk for OHSS is increased in PCOS patients (she said less than 10% of their PCOS patients are able to do a fresh transfer because of hyper stimulation) Which means waiting until March or April for a transfer.
Once again, these are all measured and well thought out reasons, intended to increase chances for pregnancy, and healthy outcomes for me and the potential baby. And I want all of that. Its just that I also want to be pregnant, you know, a year ago . . .and we all know the amount of waiting in this damn game is just the pits.
So, that’s the scoop.
We need to decide about the IUI, although we have a few weeks to do that. In the meantime, nothing will be happening in December, and there’s plenty to keep me busy between now and Christmas. Its just not the stuff I *wanted* to be keeping me busy, you know?
As an update to yesterday’s post – Ed has been sleeping and low energy, but mostly doing ok. He has pain pills through next week, and, depending on how things go, we will likely keep him going with those until next week when we will take him in to his regular vet and discuss options.
Thanks to everyone for your kind words and good thoughts. Life feels hazy and sad, but there is hope there too.