This was totally on my list of things to blog about and then I forgot because the macs showed up . . .They are, as expected, shiny and sexy and gorgeous . . .and tiny and light! So grateful for this gift!
So . . .As I’ve mentioned, I frequently go to one of my clinic’s satellite offices for blood draws and ultrasounds when I can, as the office is about 5 minutes from work, instead of the 40+ of the main building. For 90% of my visits, I have been the only person in the waiting room when I arrive, and for the remaining 10%, there has been one other person and/or couple there, quietly chatting or reading a bad doctors office magazine or looking sad/awkward/uncomfortable, sometimes all three simultaneously.
Yesterday when I arrived, there were two boys, somewhere between 10-12, sitting in a corner playing with some action figures, pretty loudly. They were also messily eating the caramel corn that the clinic, oddly, provides in single serve packages in all of their offices. (I have long found this a very weird phenomenon, but also it seemed sort of charming. I have never eaten the popcorn, nor have I ever witnessed anyone else eating it, although my cousin reported he eats a bag every time they go in to ‘get his money’s worth.’) There was no parent anywhere in sight, so I assumed their caregiver was getting dildo-wanded or something equally awkward to have your son (and his friend? cousin? brother?) witness. And also, it made me think about how I wouldn’t parent in this situation, i.e.: really? you brought your school age child to the fertility clinic? (La did point out its summer and childcare might be hard to come by, to which I argued 10-12 is stay-at-home-alone age, which she protested . . .so, guess we’ll cross that bridge someday down the line.)
I was called back for my own dildo wanding (calling into question if the mom/caregiver was as well, since there is only one ultrasound tech at the office) and, after getting the good news about my cushy lining, went back to the waiting room while the phlebotomist finished with her previous patient.
Now the waiting room was full of people, but most notably, there was a very awkward and frumpy looking heterosexual couple talking VERY loudly and googly-eyeing an ultrasound printout. So, obvs, they were pregnant. Which I would have known because of their incredibly high value exclamations indicating such. I was about thisclose to turning to them and saying something like: “listen, we all know you’re excited to be pregnant because, if you’re here, it means it took some time and effort for it to happen, but for God sakes, shut the fuck up about it and save your ebullience for the parking lot because most of the other people in this room AREN’T pregnant and are still trying really hard to GET pregnant and you, of all people, should have some damned sensitivity about that.”
But I didn’t. I just rolled my eyes. Also, the kids were still there, meaning they were also not waiting on a parent getting a blood draw which means, in my humble opinion, they should have been with their parent/caregiver because they kind of made me reconsider this whole parenting thing.
That’s the addendum to the update!