Still no baby.

After having pretty good and reasonably regular contractions last night,  they put me on pitocin all night and the foley bulb fell out around 4am.
I woke up to not a lot – fewer contractions than I went to sleep with.  I spent the morning sitting up,  hoping to get some movement back,  but only a few cramps appeared. I couldn’t walk because I was hooked to the pitocin IV and monitor.  At around noon they took me off the pit and let me take a shower and take a break. The plan was to talk to the resident about the possibility of breaking  (or needling) my sac,  although seafoam was still very high which makes doing so somewhat dangerous because of the possibility of cord prolapse.

Before I took a shower, they decided to check my cervix. The check revealed I was at a 5.5-6cm and while she was checking me,  my waters spontaneously ruptured.  And it was a serious gush.  So much that the midwife thinks I may have had polyhydramnios – an excess of fluid – which in any case likely kept seafoam from being able to effectively move down and against my cervix.  It was exciting since water breaking can send a good signal to the body about labor.
After the check,  I got a shower and they even let me go outside for a walk! It wad glorious!  I came back in,  napped and.  . .

Contractions never came.  Cramps never came.  Nothing happened.

There’s a special kind of defeat you feel when you’ve been in the hospital for 4 going on 5 days and nothing has happened.   Even if you’re 37 weeks 3 days pregnant and it’s totally reasonable that your body would not be prepared to go into labor even with excessive prodding from medical and mechanical intervention.

So what now?
They have decided to put me back on cytotec for the night.  I just took one dose,  and will take 3 more throughout the night.  While I’m dialted to almost a 6 (or I WAS anyway) I am actually only 50% effaced. The thinking is that I am still in need of prostaglandins that cytotec will give me.  Without the cervix being ripened,  the pitocin can’t work.  Hopefully,  if my cervix gets ripened effectively,  that plus the dilation will kick me into labor.

If nothing happens with the cytotec,  then they will start pitocin again tomorrow morning.  The goal will be,  of course,  that if the cytotec couldn’t get me all the way there,  the pit will get me the rest of the way there.

And,  if the cytotec and pitocin have not effectively gotten me into labor by tomorrow afternoon or evening.  . . Then I will have a cesarean section.

And I’ll be sad,  but I’ll also know Ive dime absolutely everything possible to birth my baby vaginally at 37 weeks with pre-eclampsia.  And while the idea is disappointing to me,  it also feels like the best possible circumstance for a c section to happen.  And,  we aren’t there yet anyway.

But there’s your update. Prayers accepted.


27 thoughts on “Nope.

  1. Sending so much love and gentle rest to the three of you. Wrapping you each in comfort as you rest in all you have done and all you continue to do to safely bring Seafoam earthside. πŸ™‚

  2. Oh my goodness, you poor thing! You’ve been through so much. I’m glad you’re at least getting some sleep. I hope the next update we read is a baby one, no matter how he ends up coming into this world!

  3. One way or another your little bean will make an appearance. Sounds like your wee one has a very strong will already. πŸ™‚ Soon you will be holding you beautiful baby and at some point you will laugh about how strong willed seafoam is and made you both wait so long.

  4. No one can say that you didn’t really give your all to having a vaginal birth. There’s nothing you should feel ashamed of, different bodies have different abilities in different situations. I don’t beat myself up for my stuttering when it happens, you shouldn’t feel bad about your uterus not effectively going into labor early when your body is already suffering from pre-eclampsia. I know two women who literally cannot give birth vaginally (ones whose inductions utterly failed at all and the other has CP), and they both have multiple children who are very adorable, happy, and well-loved.

    I’m not much of a prayer but you’ll be in my thoughts today.

  5. Praying for you! You are doing great, and as I have said before, I think your approach to all of this is awesome and will make your labor and delivery so much easier. I hope things progress well in the next 24 hours!

  6. Time to serve Seafoam with an eviction notice! You must be so sick of the hospital! Sending lots of cervix thinning, contraction-y thoughts your way.

  7. I can’t even imagine how frustrating this must be. The hospital is about the last place I’d want to spend 5 days of my life. It’s a pleasant surprise to me that they have let you go this long in trying to get labor started so you can birth naturally. I would have thought they would have been pushing for a c-section long before this. Maybe there is hope for the modern hospital birth after all. πŸ™‚

    Sending ALL the good vibes and labor dust your way!

  8. You are a rockstar. Anyone who gives birth is, really, but seriously. In the face of pre-eclampsia and a stubborn cervix, you are living an incredible birth story. However Seafoam enters the world, the labor you’ve done to make it happen is amazing. Holding you all in the light, and hoping to hear happy news soon. (PS, today is my grandmother’s birthday, and my brother’s wedding anniversary. An auspicious date in my book!)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s